Swimming is one of the most popular sports in world. Unlike other sports, swimming is a life skill that is taught, first, to ensure safety and, secondly, for sports and competition purposes. Aquatics covers a great variety of swimming skills, from short sprints to longer events and relays. The South Region Stars is a competitive team, so we don’t teach athlete’s how to swim; rather we teach them ways to swim faster and more efficiently. That said, we offer a host of events for those who need assistance in the pool to to the more advanced racers.
TIME and DATES and LOCATION – TBA
Due to COVID-19 Special Olympics of Minnesota has cancelled the 2020 Summer Games, including all events for track and field, basketball, and swimming. While we are disappointed that we can’t compete, we understand that this is for our safety.
BUT WAIT — THERE ARE THE VIRTUAL GAMES!!
VIRTUAL SUMMER GAMES
This year, please join us for Virtual Summer Games! This event is open to everyone and is a safe way to compete against your friends and peers from across the state, whether you’re a basketball player, a track and field athlete or a swimmer. Train and compete from home and come together virtually to celebrate your accomplishments as we broadcast your results on Wednesday, May 27, on Facebook, YouTube and the SOMN website.
COMPETE FROM HOME
This competition is a safe way for athletes, Unified partners and coaches to keep the spirit of Special Olympics Minnesota alive by competing against each other from home! Here’s how it works:
- CHOOSE YOUR ACTIVITIES! Check out all the basketball and track & field activities and practice at home.
- PRACTICE! You can practice and submit your scores for as many events as you want. You have until May 17 to practice and submit your results.
- SUBMIT YOUR RESULTS! Submit your scores for any or all events. All qualifying scores from practice are due by Sunday, May 17.
Note: In order to follow social distancing and stay at home orders, you should practice and compete in these activities on your own at home; however, virtual interactions with your team through social media, texts or emails are allowed and encouraged!
- Assisted swims: 15M, 25M, 50M
- Flotation swims: 15M, 25M
- Freestyle: 15M, 25M, 50M, 100M, 200M, 400M
- Backstroke: 25M, 50M, 100M
- Breaststroke: 25M, 50M, 100M
- Butterfly: 25M, 50M, 100M
- Individual Medley: 100M
- 4 x 25M Relay
- 4x25M Unified Relay
* athletes can choose three individual races and one relay or two individual races and two relays
Remember that you must have an up-to-date application on file with Special Olympics of Minnesota before you will be allowed to practice and compete. This needs to be updated every three years. And make sure to check your calendar for conflicts before you register to compete.
NOT OPEN AT THIS TIME